Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Week two: Quality and evaluation

What is evaluation? My initial answer to this question is that it is 'ensuring that the material is suitable for the purpose'. BUT ... thats not really where it ends is it? I guess you have to take into account the different learning styles also. So now I am not so sure.

The Flight of the Conchords video was interesting and to answer the question is it good quality? Well, not to me!!!! I couldn't wait for it to end. Bored me to tears, I just don't get them and don't think they are funny. I am aware however that I am in a minority. So because the majority believe it be be good, does that make it good quality? Mind you I did absorb what they were talking about, so does it matter in the end?????

1 comment:

Bronwyn hegarty said...

That is a very concise and spot on definition of evaluation Donna, and as with anything it is the start of it all...as you say.

Hah! someone who is not scared to stand out in the mob. Your questions regarding flight of the conchords and quality open up some interesting ideas about quality.

Quality does mean different things for different people and that is where multiplicity of measures comes into it I guess. Why else do we need so many guidelines, benchmarks, quality assurance bodies and checklists to figure out if something is any good or not.

Even food cannot escape. What tastes good to one is foul to another. I will never forget an experience in a top restaurant here in dunedin where I dared to ask the chef to recook the "raw" lamb dish.

It was a prizewinning dish and my paranoia about hydatids in raw lamb dishes did not cut it. the chef cooked it well done under protest, and seemed to take great delight in the fact that the meat shrank to a 1/5th the size.

Where does customer satisfaction fit in light of professional pride and standards? - something we can all relate to I am sure.